Recently, the Department’s Office for Civil Rights issued guidance clarifying school districts’ existing legal obligations to provide equal access to extracurricular athletic activities to students with disabilities. In addition to explaining those legal obligations, the guidance urges school districts to work with community organizations to increase athletic opportunities for students with disabilities, such as opportunities outside of the existing extracurricular Rehabilitation Act, to an equal opportunity to participate in their schools’ extracurricular activities. A 2010 report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that many students with disabilities are not afforded an equal opportunity to participate in athletics, and therefore may not have equitable access to the health and social benefits of athletic participation.
- Presentation: Accountability and Outcomes for Children with Speech, Language and Hearing Challenges May 20, 2015
- Proposed Policy Statement on Inclusive Early Childhood Programs May 19, 2015
- Federal Guidance on Special Education Dispute Resolution Options April 28, 2015
- Department of Education Releases Final Maintenance of Effort Rule April 28, 2015
- Title IX Guidance April 28, 2015